Otaku Corner

A blog dedicated to manga and anime.

Friday, August 04, 2006

Fruits Basket Chapter 131!

An ancient story is revealed...

{I'm doing it in a different way this time. Catalyste is away too so can't do a translation for Gaia so I'm taking over and doing a trans/summary mix. And with the amount of text in this one it really doesn't make much difference. Thank you so much to Yoshiko who helped a lot with this translation. I struggled a lot with so much text on some pages. *Loves the end, so little words*}

DO NOT COPY OR REPRINT. IF YOU WANT TO USE THIS TRANSLATION, ASK FIRST!

Once a long time ago,
there was a man.
For as long as he could remember he had always always
been by himself.
If he climbed down the mountain,
he knew that he would meet people,
but chose to be by himself.

The one who is at the top, normally is alone.
Having the strength of a thousand men.
Having the lives of a thousand men.
That man having a thousand memories,
he knew that he was different from other people.

This man was
afraid of other people.
He was afraid of getting hurt.
While he had so many powers,
he was afraid of
this self that he knew was so different from the world.

And so to him
a cat came one day.
This was a sudden encounter with another visiting him.
The cat bowed his head and said.
"I have been following you for some time."

"You have a most unusual aura,
I can't help but be drawn to you.
I realise I am but a stray cat
but won't you please let me stay by your side?
Please "God"."
Since then
as he said, the cat
never left the man's side.
He never left for a moment
and that made God so very happy that

a thought came to him.
"Perhaps, I can get along with them
if it was a being other than human.
If it is with beings who have had similar experiences,
then we can have a fun banquet."
And so, God wrote out many invitations.

In return, twelve animals
arrived to see God.
Following that,
the thirteen animals and and God had a banquet each night in the moonlight.
Singing and dancing,
and laughing with each other.

At the banquet, for the first time, God laughed out loud.
Even the moon quietly watched
over the beings who did not look human.
However, after some time
the cat collapsed.
He was ill
and there was nothing they could do.
Every one of them cried.
Every one of them realised

eventually, everyone would die.
The banquet would end.
No matter how fun it was.
No matter how much you love them.
Eventually.
Then
God
cast
one spell.
He drew a cirlce in the water with his finger.
He had the cat take a sip of water.
Then he turned to everyone else and said.
"Let us make our friendship"

"last for eternity.
Even when we die,
let us be bound by our friendship for eternity.
No matter how many times we die,
no matter how many times we are reborn,
again, in the same way
no matter how many times,
let us have another banquet.
Everyone getting along
for all of time.
Let us be in enternal bliss."

Everyone nodded in agreement
and the rat took the first sip.
Then was the ox,
the tiger,
then the rabbit.
In their turn
the water was divided equally.
At the end, when the last drop was gone
The cat began to gasp.
"God,
God, why
did you make me drink that?
God, I
do not want eternity."

"I do not want eternal bliss."
Those
were unthinkable words to say.
To God and all the other animals
it was rejecting words.
Everyone was sad to hear them
and they all turned against the cat.
Even so, that cat said,
"God, God, even though you are frightened,
let us accept that all things end.
Even though it is sad,
let us accept that life ends."

"God, even though it was just for a short time, I
was happy being by your side.
If I
were to die, be reborn
and meet you again,
The next time rather than in the moonlight
I want to see you smile in the sunlight.
The next time I meet you,
I want to see you laughing surrounded with people."
And for the last time the cat raised his tail and died peacefully.

But none of the animals cared about the cat anymore.
Because everyone felt they had been betrayed by the cat.
After that, one by one,
they all died.
In the end, the dragon died last
and so God was alone once more.

And eventually,
even the day came that God died too.
However, he was not afraid
because his promise to everyone supported him.
"Again.
We will have a banquet again.
Once again
many times,
always
unchanging.
No matter how alone I am right now."

"On the other side of that promise everyone is waiting for me."
Now this is a story
from a time long ago.
It is the first memoryeveryone has forgotten.
The first promise.

The story ends and we return to Yuki and Machi where we left them in thelast chapter. Yuki is still crying from the loss of his rat spirit as Machi worries about him.

"President...?"
"Sorry...
Sorry, all of a sudden.
It's just
...I just separated
from someone I have
always been with...
Though we were always together,
it was always so painful together...
Such a burden..."

"And now that
we have parted,
this is my reaction.
I'm being so unfair."
"Can you...
not
see that person again...?"
"Yes.
We will never meet.
I know it...."
"Goodbye."
"In exchange
he has given me
my "freedom"."

Yuki stops speaking and steps forward, hugging Machi, knowing he's beenfreed from the curse now. She blushes shocked as Yuki speaks once more.

"I'm sorry...
You
probably do not understand.
What I wanted to talk to you about
was
different from this. But"

"...right now,
this is enough..."
"Ah,
um.
Actually,
there was
something I
wanted to
ask you..."
"What is it...?"
"Can I call you
...by your first name?"
"Of course.
Say it."
"...Yu
ki..."

As she says his name, Yuki runs his thumb over her lower lip and she looks up at him.

"...Say it again."
"...Yu
Yuki..."

As she says it once more Yuki leans down and kisses her. {At last!}

"However many times you want..."
The first
promise,

Since when did it
become a "curse"?

We cut to Kyo and Tohru who are at Kazuma's house. Kyo showing Kazuma hisbeadless wrist. It takes him a minute to realise what it means before pulling Kyo into a hug.

Since when did it
become a "burden"?

We see Haru and Rin appear, Tohru realising everyone is free now, not justKyo.

When everyone was happy
and struggled to part.

We see Tohru as she realises that Akito must have also felt the curse beinglifted. She begs Kyo then Kazuma to go to the main house with her to see Akito.

Love
should have been there.
Time has gone by,
people have changed
and it became something that has made people suffer.

Together, the three of them go off to see Akito.

I'm sorry
I'm very sorry.
But,
there is something I want to say to you for trying to keep the promise.
Although it is not the promise that was originally made,
to all those who kept it,
what I most, most want to say to you is:

Thank you.
Thank you.

We see Kami once last time as we go to Tohru standing before Akito's room. The door opens and Akito reaches out, grabbing Tohru by her top and pullingher inside. The door shuts behind her and Kazuma laughes.

The far far story,
the very first memory that everyone forgot.
The story of when the cat's words came true
was much

much,
much
later.

Inside the room we see Tohru and Akito hugging. The cat below them being petted by Kami.

Banner: The time when the Cat's words reached the heart of God, the far far banquet ended at last. A new today from yesterday comes to God at last.

Next chapter: 5th of September in Issue 19.

My Thoughts:
I loved the begining of this chapter. It was so nice to see the full story of the zodiac at last. Especially the real Rooster and Dragon. I feel so sad for Kami, he loved the cat so much that he tried to do something nice for his friend but in the end it was the wrong thing to do. He reminds me of Akito in a lot of ways, he still has that child-like character that we see in Akito; afraid of being alone and not knowing what the right thing is to do.
I would've liked to see more explanation as to how the story that Tohru knows came about. Why it was only the rat that hated the cat in the story and none of the others.
It would've been nice to see some explanation as to why the Sohma's were the ones cursed. I think it's possible Kami was a Sohma in the very begining.
If he was a Sohma then it makes sense that he would be reborn into his own family. He had to come from somewhere so must have had some kind of family. Perhaps in the village down the mountain?
I hope it's explained more later.
I really would've liked to see more with Yuki and Machi in this chapter. We had so much on Kyo and Tohru leading up to their kiss, granted Yuki and Machi aren't as major as the other pairing but it would've been nice to see a little more.
He also will never now know if Machi had accepted him. Of course she probably would have considering this is a shojo but we'll never really know, will we?
I can't wait to see them all together in the next chapter. I'm hoping it won't be a Akito/Tohru centric chapter. We've already had them really talk it out for a good three chapters, there's nothing more to say with them so hopefully if Akito has to say anything she'll say it with the other's around.
Now we know there's going to be another chapter, this really raises the possibility of there being another volume. There's never been a seven chapter volume so hopefully we'll have another five chapters after 132.
If we do I'd personally like to see some really good future scenes to see what everyone gets up to.


Scans found here courtesy of BillWang, Hana to Yume etc:
http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/Seph-Noir/Fruits%20Basket%20chapter%20131/

Please email me. Do not ask me to email you in comments I do not check comments every day, only emails.

53 Comments:

  • At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That was so wonderful. I've been checking all morning, hopeing you would do some kind of review before I had to go of to class.

     
  • At 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OMG! It's not the last chapter?? *Dances*

     
  • At 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm excited to see the scans. So I'm leaving you a comment now, before I email you asking for the password.

    Samantha

     
  • At 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That is so cool! I'm so happy!

     
  • At 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yay! I'm so happy!! *Dances* Kazuma hugged Kyo! Yay! So cute! And and yay! Haha... yeah well it's good this isn't the end!

     
  • At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ahh i've been waiting for this! T.T its not the last chapter!! yesss! thnx thnx thnx thnx thank you soo much. i've had this furuba craving fora while n i was dying for this chap..i'm about to go n read it. ^w^

     
  • At 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You're so awsome for posting summaries and scans...! I'm emailing you for the password ^^

     
  • At 5:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, it's absolutely beautiful. I'm so glad that there will be more. <3

    Thank you for the summary and scans!

    — sc1510 =D

     
  • At 7:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Once again, you make more sense than the first summary that came in. However, from reading the first summary and then yours, it seems...like a letdown. I know the story deals a lot with loneliness and whatnot, but to have the reason for the curse...?

    Once again, may I ask you for the password to view the scans? I deleted your last e-mail it seems or gmail is playing "not finding this for you right now."

    Thanks once again for your hard work!

    LadyGoddess@gmail.com

     
  • At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    that chapter was great ^^ Thats not the last chapter!?! Yay!

     
  • At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    WHOO!!! Another volume!!

    to the person above, momiji's freedom changes nothing about his family and momo. The mother forgot momiji because he made her miserable. His father keeps him away from momo and his mother because he fears that interacting with them will triggor her memories of him and thus cause her to be miserable again. Even if he is freed, should his mom find out he is her son, or should she remember, she'll know WHY she did what she did and then become the same person she was back then. The father is trying to prevent that from ever happening since he loves his wife and doesn't want her so miserable.
    Sephy!!! I was at otakon and saw a bunch of people with those REALLY expensive dolls from the foreign site like you have!! <3

     
  • At 11:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i don't have the password TT-TT can i please have it! my email is
    SatsukiFujimoto@Yahoo.com

     
  • At 11:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't have the password, can i have it please. Thanks. My email phuonganh.ng@gmail.com

     
  • At 12:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi~!
    Thank you for posting the summary
    could you please email me the password to the scans (magicbulletgirl@yahoo.com)?
    Again thank you for scanning - I know it can take hours to pretty up scans after the hour it takes to scan in the first place.
    Thanks for taking the time.

     
  • At 12:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i dont have the password please?]
    my email is:
    nataliecohen99@yahoo.com

     
  • At 1:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hmm.. they'll make another ch, so i think the ending will be sad.
    Can i have the password?
    ma_chao_13@hotmail.com
    thx

     
  • At 1:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Aaaaaaah.... Another volume..... I like the sound of that. ;3 But don't we all? Can I have the password? Please????

    nekoyoukaiaila@comcast.net

     
  • At 3:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    send me password?

    simplym33h5io@aol.com

     
  • At 3:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks so much for posting the summaries and scans up! i've been searching for these all over the net! yay it's not done yet! could i please get the password so i can see the scans too =] (aznbaybeedoll_143@yahoo.com) thanks!

     
  • At 4:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    WAAAAH!!! *Happy* Thank you - thank you - thank you!!!
    A beautiful and touching chapter... I'm starting to like Akito, I guess. xD

     
  • At 4:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    im so glad its not the last chap!!!
    the ending was just so sweet i still feel all warm inside^-^

     
  • At 6:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i don't have the password TT-TT can i please have it! my email is
    SatsukiFujimoto@Yahoo.com

     
  • At 6:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i don't have the password TT-TT can i please have it! my email is
    shtnals227@hanmail.net

     
  • At 6:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    can I have the password please ....*_*

    sarah28saleh86@yahoo.com

     
  • At 7:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi, nice one!
    can i have the password too pls?
    thanks heaps!

    pochi.neko@gmail.com

     
  • At 8:12 AM, Blogger Seph said…

    To everyone sending me their email address; please just email me. I really don't have time to work through all of these comments and emails as well.
    If you already have the password don't email me, it's the same as it was last time.
    It's taking me a while to translate all this, I'm not used to doing so much.
    I would've updated a little last night but I got back a 1am and since then have felt terrible.
    {Really shouldn't eat things my stomach doesn't like. T.T}
    Anyway, I'll be updating today. Thanks to Yoshiko for the help with the translation too! My brain would've exploded if it wasn't for your email.

     
  • At 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Loved your summary!

     
  • At 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you so much for the summary! This was such a beautiful chapter.

     
  • At 5:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love your summary! I'm so happy it's not the last chapter! Seph, I tried to email you for the password but for some reason my email won't go through. I think it might just be my computer but do you have another email address so I can try to email you?

     
  • At 5:58 PM, Blogger Seph said…

    Yeah sure. Email my yahoo account.
    sephiroth_riku@yahoo.com
    I'm actually thinking of contributing to the scanlations. It'd be nice to be part of it. But I'm not sure its good enough.

     
  • At 6:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    omg. thank you so much for the summary. can you plz e-mail me your pw? thanks

    mutedust32@yahoo.com

     
  • At 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    omg i loved the story!!! thanks again for the password. :) i cant believe that there is a possibility of another book!!!! yay! o yeah!!!! well... i cant wait for the next one! September 5th!!!!

     
  • At 8:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oops.. i forgot to sign it... (sweatdrop)
    KKL~
    i talked to u on gaia. :)

     
  • At 2:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for the other email address Seph my email finally went through! I really hope another book will come out and the relationships of the other Zodiac members will be resolved (ex. Hatori-kun and Mayu-chan).

     
  • At 8:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh...go for it Yun! Thank you for putting this up!

     
  • At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    they're kissing!!!
    Yu-Chi're kissing...!
    owh God..it's d most beautiful scene!!
    thankyou..100x *big-hugs*
    can't wait the coming of new volume..
    luv ya! *smile*

    .:shibuya_onna:.

     
  • At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks a lot for your hard work!!! YeY! I really like this chappy and I enjoyed it very very much!
    Lots of Yeys! for you!!! XD

     
  • At 1:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks soo much!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

     
  • At 5:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Please don't think me rude, but I have to say this, 22 vol. with 6 chapters each is 132 chapters not 130. The next chapter will be the last. Now that that is said thank you for the summaries. I appreciate what you are doing here.

     
  • At 5:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey thanks for the translations^_^ could u send me the password please, animegrlluver@hotmail.com

     
  • At 5:27 AM, Blogger Seph said…

    Chapter 132 would make it seven chapters. ^^;
    It goes from 126-131 though originally she announced to finish at 130.

     
  • At 6:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What I got from the story was... everyone still hated the cat in that story Tohru's mom told her, it just happened to be the rat who told him the banquet was the day after. Maybe the rat was looking for favoritism from the kami... maybe all the animals drew straws and the rat won/lost.
    Yeah i guess the kami could have been a sohma... that would explain why everyone in that family has such good looks and why they're quite wealthy....

     
  • At 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for posting this. ♥ You typed it really nicely.

     
  • At 2:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    thank you for the summary!! i'll be emailing you for the password =)

     
  • At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Another volume! Woop! Ah! I would like the password please. My email is fairygoddessyui@comcast.net

    Thank you.

    I've been hoping for a happy ending for this story for so long too! T_T (tears of joy)

     
  • At 11:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    May I have the password? My email is
    chikyuseishi@yahoo.com. :D

     
  • At 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Um, you need a password to see the scans... so how are we supposed to see them without a password?

     
  • At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think it's a bit weird to be mailing you all of a sudden, so... here's a comment. ^^;

     
  • At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    aaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!!! yuki and machi is so cute....so sweet......

     
  • At 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Can I get the password? email address is aznjul89@yahoo.com

    Thanks

     
  • At 1:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I Have A Question..

    When Tohru And Kyo Were Having That Big Scene And He Was Telling Her That Her Love Is Just An Illusion, He Told Her That Kyoko Told Him She Would Never Forgive Him. Then Tohru Says That She Can't Say She Doesn't Forgive Him For The Death Because She Loves Him And That She Can't Beleive Her Mother Would Say Such A Cruel Thing, Right. Tohru Always Thinks Of Her Mother, But Since That Day I Havn't Seen Any Mention Of Kyoko In Tohru's Thoughts. So Has She Decided To Take The ko Out Of Kyoko? Lol That Was A Pretty Good Joke...Lol. But Really, Is She Only Going To Give Her Heart To Kyo Now?? o.O

     
  • At 5:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love fruits basket and i only have chapters 132-the end to read so could you please send me your password. My e-mail is gorillagirl@mac.com

     
  • At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ...AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I like Machi's character, I just hate that she goes with Yuki...eghhhh....='(

     

Post a Comment

<< Home