Otaku Corner

A blog dedicated to manga and anime.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Everyone has their money problems.




Okane ga Nai

To start off my reviews for Otaku Corner I've chosen my favourite yaoi manga of all time.

Okane ga Nai {No Money/There's No Money} is an on going tale of young eighteen year old Ayase Yukiya, who was sold to the yakuza by his cousin when he got into debt. The manga opens on the night of Ayase's auction, when the delicate boy is in the process of being sold as a slave to one of the many men of the yakuza.
Things instantly turn rather up-side down when he's bought for 1.2 billion by the very man who his cousin owes the money to, the man apparently having met him before though Ayase is unable to recall in his drugged state.
Kanou, the debt collector, expressing feelings other than anger isn't something he's used to, and so when he attempts to treat his new "pet" with kindness he ends up becoming angry with the terrified boy and reveals his cousin had placed Ayase name on all the papers - meaning it is Ayase who technically owes Kanou the money. Things go from bad to worse when he tries to show the boy that his cousin has betrayed him but is only met by anger. This instantly sparks off Kanou's own short fuse and he ends up forcing himself on Ayase.
Their relations improve however through out the following volumes. Kanou slowly becoming used to the delicate Ayase and even allowing him to attend summer school, though his temper still remains and is easily sparked whenever it seems Ayase might be hiding something from him. On occasions he still shows his terribly mean side, quick to humiliate Ayase in front of others by revealing his secret job of selling his body to Kanou, however he treats the boy with increasing kindness with each volume. He saves him many times from many different kidnappers and doesn't hesitate to protect the boy.
As the story progresses and the volumes are released it's easy to see Ayase and Kanou will continue to struggle through their relationship, though will hopefully reach the happy ending the young boy so greatly deserves.

My thoughts:
I personally love this yaoi, it is my definite favourite and the art is beautiful. It is very much in the same style of CLAMP's {non-BL} work, following their trend for males; strong, broad shouldered semes and small, delicate, wide eyed ukes.
Ayase is a loveable character you are garuenteed to fall in love with, wanting to take him away and shelter him from Kanou's rough manner, yet at the same time wishing they would just fall into each other's arms.
Despite some people claiming this is a shouta, it is clearly stated at the begining of the first volume that Ayase is eighteen and attends university.
This is one of the more "hard" yaoi that you're likely to find and as such isn't likely to be liscenced in english any time soon. It contains, a fair bit of non-con in the first volume which seemed to put a few people off though it quickly simmers down to less "rape-like" situations.
Overall, I adore this yaoi and if you're mature enough to deal with a bit of non-con this is definitely for you. For fans of work by Tori Maia and Dr Ten, this manga is a must. As of thi moment Forever-More is the only scanlation site that hosts the manga, and it seems it'll be a long time before anyone is willing to publish it.
You can find volumes 1-4 on IRC here: http://www.forever-more.1-eurohost.com/
Volume five came out a short while ago so there should be files for that soon too.

16 Comments:

  • At 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree this is on of the best yaoi mangas out there, however it's a shame no company will license it. Forevermore does the scanlations, so I get them off irc. A great read.

     
  • At 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    omg .. i loved this manga xDD~
    its not pure hardcore.. but you can see enough to .. mm.. how can i say this.. feel those kinna feelings you have when you read yaoi xD

     
  • At 10:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great Review, This is an awsome yaoi manga, a must read.

     
  • At 7:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love yaoi sooo much. Nice review.

     
  • At 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi hi ^^ I like your site layout and thanks for the comment ^^ I have heard of okane ga nai being a great manga ^^ really hope to read it. Do you have the scans? do mind upuloading them in yousendit for me? onegai..>.< doumo!

     
  • At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi hi ^^ I like your site layout and thanks for the comment ^^ I have heard of okane ga nai being a great manga ^^ really hope to read it. Do you have the scans? do mind upuloading them in yousendit for me? onegai..>.< doumo!

    hee fogotten my addie:
    tsukino at zukinoq@hotmail.com

    Thanks!

     
  • At 1:37 PM, Blogger Seph said…

    If I get the time I'll try to add the scans to my photobucket account, but you really should get them from the site. They work very hard on getting the scans done.

     
  • At 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    yaoiness.net has like the first five chapters available for download, i wish they would get the rest...

     
  • At 8:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    yaoiness.net only has the first five chapters of this manga...and IRC is too difficult to use can someone tell me where else i can download the scans after chapter 5

     
  • At 5:32 AM, Blogger Seph said…

    You can't get it anywhere else. Forever-More are the official site that owns the scanlations. They are the only place you can get the rest of the chapters from. They also give you a very good guide on how to use IRC if you get stuck. ^^

     
  • At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's true forever-more have really great IRC instalation guide.
    Too bad, my net is a killer and I can only direct-download :(
    But first 5 chaps were really great!

     
  • At 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are so right! I've seen the first episode and I fell in love with Ayase because he's such a beautiful character. Kanou and him are a perfect couple in my opinion.
    I just hope for a happy ending.

     
  • At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, this is a really good series. Okay, it's yaoi but there's a lot of tension between all the characters and the plot is interesting and well-balanced. The events in the story are laid out with care and the characters are believable: they have their own motivations and often, their secrets too.

    With that said, this is the best yaoi series I've ever read. For, in Okane ga Nai, the sex is not the sole factor. When I read the manga, I felt like a child again. There was just this sense of urgency to keep reading and this overwhelming excitement to find out more about the characters. I truly worried and cared about the characters.

    Now, even if I included non-yaoi series, there have been less than 20 series which stirred up my feelings this much. And I'm talking about shounen, seinen, josei and other classifications like "slice of life", etc. So, this series is a definite "must read"!

     
  • At 12:51 AM, Blogger Fallen said…

    I really want to read this manga but unfortunatly IRC doesn't work on my computer and I can't figure out why it won't work.

     
  • At 11:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I recently just got into Okane ga Nai and I think it's so cute ^__^ I first saw the two OVAs, which I hear there is four, but I don't know if the other two are out yet, and I wanted more. So I downloaded what I could find off the Internet in the manga, which is up to volume 5 chapter 3 and I can't wait for more! I need more...hehe ^__^

     
  • At 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i want to read this manga so bad! but i can't find it anywhere! its like it doesn't exsist at all or it hates me! could you at least tell me the authors name? it would help me so much...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home