Otaku Corner

A blog dedicated to manga and anime.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

New Spring Anime - The Tale of Two Nanas


Nana Osaki and Nana Komatsu

Well this is another anime on the top of my list right next to XXXholic, the Nana TV series. Nana is a refreshing and stylish manga written and illustrated by Ai Yazawa, creator of Paradise Kiss. Nana is the story of two young women sharing the name Nana and that is all; their
personalities however are completely opposite of one another. The two Nana's meet by chance and decide to rent an apartment together and surprisingly they get along smashingly. Romance, heartbreak and partying ensues as both Nanas navigate the road of life together. When this manga was first released here in the US, It was Viz's headliner for there Shojo Beat magazine. I personally didn't get what all the hype was about, granted Paradise Kiss was a good story, with great fashion and humor; but that still didn't want to make me run out and buy the manga. I waited months after the release date before I even purchased volume one of Nana. When I finally did get around to purchasing Nana, I was thinking well why not, if it's not good I will pass it along. This book was not even on my radar; but after I read volume one followed by volume two I was salivating for more. I am the first to admit that I was completely wrong in ignoring this series, as it has now climbed to the top of my "must have, can't live without" list. My hope is the anime adaptation will be faithful to the manga. The Paradise Kiss anime although as I stated before was pretty faithful to the manga, failed to follow through and over all did not leave me with the feeling that George and Yukari's break up was necessary and healthy for them both. I hope the best for Nana as the story is engaging and a complete breath of fresh air. I highly recommend the manga to those who have not read it, you will not be disappointed.

3 Comments:

  • At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree Paradise Kiss was a good manga, but the anime was horrible. When they SD the characters, it was weird. I hope Nana does not have SD characters.

     
  • At 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love nana, well you be doing a episode summary for every episode?

     
  • At 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nana is the best manga...I love Takumi much better then Nobu, I hope he takes good care of Nana.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home