Otaku Corner

A blog dedicated to manga and anime.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Manga Review - Basara


Shuri and Sarasa

Well I thought tonight I would put of a review of a manga series that I have been currently reading called Basara by Yumi Tamura released by Viz Media. I have been meaning to talk about this series for a while now, since I have to say it's one of my top choices. The story centers around a young girl named Sarasa, who is a twin to her more popular brother Tatara who is also known as the child of Destiny. It is said that Tatara will free post apocolyptic Japan from the tyranny of the ruling kings, The White King, The Black King, The Red King, The Blue King and one more I cannot remember. In anycase the area where Tatara and Sarasa live is ruled by the Red King. Sarasa grows up in the shadow of her twin brother, always ignored unintentionally by her father and the villagers as they tend to her brother in everyway. As the story progresses The Red King sends his troops to Sarasa's village where they kill Tatara. Sarasa then cuts her hair and takes the place of her brother to give her people hope and to lead them. Through a series of events Sarasa meets a young man named Shuri aka the Red King, they both fall in love with each other ignorant of the other's real identity. Shuri unaware that Sarasa is really Tatara his sworn enemy and Sarasa unaware that Shuri is the Red King the murderer of her brother. All I can say about Basara is this is an epic story, it is not your typical gender bending romance. Sarasa struggles with her duty as Tatara as well as her desire to be seen as Sarasa even more so when she meets Shuri. It takes about 15 volumes before Shuri and Sarasa discover each other's identities, and boy what a moment it is. In the heat of battle as Sarasa and Shuri stare each other down shocked with the discovery that they are sworn enemies, it dramatic, thirlling and heart wrenching. Sarasa is torn between her love for Shuri and her vow to kill the murderer of her brother. The supporting cast is excellent with a variety of characters and personalities to keep things interesting. I have to say my most favorite character would be that of the Blue King Asagi, Shuri's brother who sneaks himself in as a member of Tatara's followers; Asagi finds ways to manipulate Sarasa and Shuri before they know of each other identities. Tamura-sensei art work is excellent, her characters are easily distiguishable, but her art can get pretty busy and confusing especially during some of the battle scenes; that being said the scene where Shuri and Sarasa realize the real identities of each other is truly something to behold, the emotions captured by Tamura-sensei is top notch stuff. I highy reccomend this series, Viz has released up to volume 20 of what I believe is a 27 volume series(I think, may be more, may be less). If you get a chance give this series a try borrow it from your local library. It's an adventurous saga that should not be missed.

11 Comments:

  • At 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow! It's about time this series got noticed! I've been reading it for about two years, and golly, it's amazing! Highly reccomended to anyone. :)

     
  • At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow Otaku you always point out the best of manga and anime, if it wasn't for you I would have never noticed Ouran High school Host Club. I will have to chek out Basara now. Thanks.

     
  • At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow Otaku you always point out the best of manga and anime, if it wasn't for you I would have never noticed Ouran High school Host Club. I will have to chek out Basara now. Thanks.

     
  • At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    legend of Basara is totally awsome ^^, its the best...i wish the anime was longer though, but the manga is really good

     
  • At 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree this series is totally underrated, it needs to be noticed more and boy what a great story, really dramatic:)

     
  • At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just started this series last month and I cannot get enough of it. I am already on volume ten. as soon as i get my allowence i spend is on this series, and now i can't wait to read the rest of the remaining novels. thanks for your reviews seph and otaku

     
  • At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    can't wait to read this series

     
  • At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    good stuff guys, ur reviews are always the best

     
  • At 4:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds like an interesting story...i'll have to check it out...thanks for ur review :):)

     
  • At 10:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Finally someone has remarked about it! As someone before me said, I've been reading this for about a year and a half, and it totally rocks! I mean, the storyline is awesome, and it's really funny, yet sad, in between. Thanks Seph!
    PS- Thanks for the Fruits Basket scans, too!

     
  • At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Absolutely one of the best manga!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home